Re: P3 capabilities (was dselect memory use)

On 14-Feb-07, 16:48 (CST), Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 09:49, Matthew Garrett
> <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Like any other P6-class CPU[1], the Pentium 3 can handle up to 64GB of
> > RAM via PAE. Certain chipsets may be more restrictive, but it's not a
> > function of the CPU. i810 and i815 are documented to be limited to
> > 512MB, but the i820 and i840 were desktop chipsets with support for
> > more.
>
> Aha, that would be the issue then.  I've been using machines with i810 and
> i815 graphics, some of them had AGP video cards but I removed them (having no
> need for them on servers).  I'll try disabling the i81x and use an AGP card

Uh, probably not. "i810" refers to the whole chipset, not just the
graphics subsystem. I'd be really surprised if disabling the on-board
graphics let you use more memory (well, except the 32K or whatever that
the on-board graphics take over).

Steve

--
Steve Greenland