Re: P3 capabilities (was dselect memory use)

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 09:49, Matthew Garrett
<mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> > P3 server machines can easily handle more RAM, I've had P3 servers with
> > 1G and 2G before.  But desktops are limited (desktop and server versions
> > of the P3 CPU have significant differences among other things).
>
> Like any other P6-class CPU[1], the Pentium 3 can handle up to 64GB of
> RAM via PAE. Certain chipsets may be more restrictive, but it's not a
> function of the CPU. i810 and i815 are documented to be limited to
> 512MB, but the i820 and i840 were desktop chipsets with support for
> more.

Aha, that would be the issue then.  I've been using machines with i810 and
i815 graphics, some of them had AGP video cards but I removed them (having no
need for them on servers).  I'll try disabling the i81x and use an AGP card
and see if it helps.

> [1] Well, except some of the low-end Pentium Ms. I guess Celerons may be
> missing it as well.

On Thursday 15 February 2007 02:30, "Roberto C. Sanchez"
<roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
> P6-class says nothing about how much memory the CPU can address.  It is
> about the instruction set.  With that in mind, every 32-bit Intel
> Pentium since the Pentium Pro is a P6-class CPU.

Except for the Pentium-M in my laptop according to Matthew.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.blogspot.com/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development