Re: how to get dpkg-deb to ignore hidden/backup files + why extra control file?

    Alan> Question #1: For creating packages, as per the suggestions in
    Alan> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Debian-Binary-Package-Building-HOWTO/#AEN88

    Alan> There is this step that requires you to copy the control
    Alan> file from the debian subdir to debian/DEBIAN
    Alan> directory. Could someone explain to me why is this step
    Alan> necessary? Is it possible to manage the build files without
    Alan> having to copy the control file to another location before
    Alan> each dpkg-deb --build step?

Did you see this paragraph at the top?

    Normal Debian packages get a proper source package, including a
    debian/rules file which automates the steps involved in creating
    the binary package. Here we just show how to package a simple
    shell script or binary executable into a small binary package.

Normally, the debian/rules file does this step for you.

    Alan> Question #2: I did a dpkg-deb --build and checked what was
    Alan> put into the .deb file. Since my files were in a .svn
    Alan> working directory, It picked up a bunch of hidden files in
    Alan> the .svn directory, as well as backup files and other
    Alan> garbage. How can I specify that dpkg-deb ignore some of the
    Alan> files that are in the directory it is supposed to "zip up"?

I suspect you can't - normally the debian/rules file will copy the
files into a temp directory, and then these are used to create the
package.

I also suspect you might want to create proper Debian source packages
- if so you might want to look for a more appropriate reference...
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>