Re: Handling of (inactive) Debian Accounts

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 23:33:40 +0100, Amaya  <amaya@debian.org> said:

> Hi, there
> Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>> To reduce the security risk an unused open account has, and also to
>> get the number of Developers to reflect the reality, we, the Debian
>> Account Managers, decided to do regular "WaT"[2] runs.

> Are you familiar with the MIA Team work? How is this work
> insufficient that this extra check needs to be implemented? Have you
> tought of a way to integrate the results of your tool into the MIA
> database?

        I think the difference is that the MIA process is too
 conservative, and does not require an positive action on the part of
 maintainers, and starts with the default that all maintainers are
 active.   Looking at people who vote for a DPL means that the DD's
 have to take an active role in indicating that they are present.

        Case in point, che just went into emeritus mode after years of
 inaction -- which our much vaunted MIA process had failed to point
 out.

        How many other MIA people are undiscovered by our current
 process?

> I tend to welcome this efforts, but I see this as a "let's reinvent
> the wheel" thing.

> Maybe this could be triggered by request of the MIA team, instead of
> by not voting? AFAIK, only around half of the DDs vote.

        Have you considered that most of the other half are not
 around, and that our MIA process has not found them out?

        manoj
--
Don't despair; your ideal lover is waiting for you around the corner.