Re: Debian Mirror with lzma compressed packages

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>>> A few more examples below. I think lzma isn't the right thing for the
>>> archive. p7zip seems much faster, needs a lot less ram and compression
>>> is similar.
..
>> Should you be using the "-9" option?  The lzma help output says this:
>>
>>   -3 .. -9          good to excellent compression. -7 is the default.
>>      --fast         alias for -1
>>      --best         alias for -9 (usually *not* what you want)
>
> Feel free to try other options.

Er, I was just pointing out that your conclusion ("lzma isn't the right
thing ... p7zip seems must faster and needs a lot less ram") is rather
dodgy because you used an option that lzma specifically warns against
using.  From my own experiencd I know that lzma consumes much more
memory with -9 than with the default setting.

So though I'm certainly in no position to repeat these tests myself, I
think others should be wary of your results.

-Miles

--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.