Re: Debian Mirror with lzma compressed packages

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> I'm not sure if the smaller size that LZMA allows is worth it if it then
> takes a lot longer to unpack files

Unfortunately, that is already the case today. I have a local mirror via
gigabit as I build multiple livecd images on a daily basis.

For the KDE flavour, this takes less than two minutes for downloading
the packages, but about 5 minutes for unpacking them. This is done on a
reasonable fast i386 machine (3.2ghz, 1gb ram, two 250gb barracudas in
raid0). Now, if we change from gzip to a slower algorithm, the unpack
part will take even more time for this :/