Re: Debian Mirror with lzma compressed packages

On Friday 19 January 2007 02:19, Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> wrote:
> For the KDE flavour, this takes less than two minutes for downloading
> the packages, but about 5 minutes for unpacking them. This is done on a
> reasonable fast i386 machine (3.2ghz, 1gb ram, two 250gb barracudas in
> raid0). Now, if we change from gzip to a slower algorithm, the unpack
> part will take even more time for this :/

Last time I checked the gzip source had no assembler optimisation for systems
other than i386.  So if your 3.2GHz machine (which obviously would be a P4 at
least not an i386) is running the AMD64 instruction set then you could
probably improve performance by running the 32bit binary.

A compression algorithm that is more complex (slower) than the gzip algorithm
but which is implemented in 64bit assembler might compare well with the
current gzip performance for modern machines.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.blogspot.com/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development