Re: /var/www or /var/web

hi paul, ben, et al,

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 12:34 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Paul Cager <paul-debian@home.paulcager.org> writes:
>
> > I am packaging MyServer (a small web server). By default it expects
> > its document root to be /var/web.

you should change that to be /var/www.  the FHS may be ambiguous on the
matter, but debian policy is fairly pointed that /var/www is the default
documentroot for any HTTP servers.

>     The methodology used to name subdirectories of /srv is unspecified
>     as there is currently no consensus on how this should be done.
>     ... Therefore, no program should rely on a specific subdirectory
>     structure of /srv existing or data necessarily being stored in
>     /srv. However /srv should always exist on FHS compliant systems
>     and should be used as the default location for such data.
>
>     <URL:http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM>
>
> So, for content served by a web server on the system, something under
> '/srv' is necessary to comply with the FHS. The most obvious choice
> seems to be '/srv/www'.

in the section you quoted above it specifically says no program should
rely on a specific subdirectory, which contradicts what you've just
suggested.  secondly, even if there were an outright conflict between
debian policy and the FHS, debian policy wins wrt placement of files and
directories in debian.

	sean