Re: Debian Mirror with lzma compressed packages

On ma, 2007-01-15 at 14:31 +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 12:39:18PM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > Does LZMA have any drawbacks?
>
> It is far less deployed as bzip2, so manually unpacking .deb packages on
> some random GNU/Linux or Unix rescue system is more likely to fail.
> Bzip2 is pretty ubiquitous these days, so comparing lzma numbers to
> bzip2 might make sense as well.

That's true. I would, personally, favor a small .deb over ease of
unpacking on a non-Debian system. The latter is a fairly rare thing, as
far as I can see, and having to download and build a DFSG-free
compression tool is a hassle, but not, I think, excessively so.

--
The road is wide and the sky is tall, before I die I will see it
all.--H.A.