Re: Icons and instructions for the FreeDesktop menu.

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 09:22 +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > am I wrong or one can have foo.png in foo.desktop, and foo.xpm in
> > foo.menu? If upstream does not provide an xpm icon, the "convert"
> > command of the imagemagick package can easily create one at build time.
>
>  My point is that I shouldn't have to maintain both, or to run convert
>  each time this is necessary.

Unless I'm confused, this is what makefiles are for.  How much trouble
is it to set it up, which must only be done once?

>  "Reinventing the wheel" was perhaps not the best way to describe the
>  problem; I wanted to point out that the Debian meny system has
>  antediluvian requirements and duplicates the functionality of the GNOME
>  menu for me.  I suggested the Debian menu system would handle or import
>  the data from the .desktop files instead of requiring me to do it
>  manually.

This does not excuse you, as a Debian maintainer, from conforming to the
Debian menu policy, which is designed for more than just GNOME.  I agree
completely that something better could be found to integrate them, but
that's not at all the same question.  A Debian maintainer's job is *not*
just to package things the way upstream normally does, and refuse to do
anything more.

>  No, but in some use cases they are mutually exclusive.  The Debian menu
>  system is completely useless to me, and I expect to most GNOME and KDE
>  users.  I'm not saying we should drop it since I can't claim it's
>  useless for everybody.  I am saying that the fact it is useless to me
>  and to most of the users of the GNOME packages I maintain doesn't call
>  for a good maintenance of the menu entries of these packages; and I am
>  proposing technical ways to solve this.

Supposedly a gnome program will run under KDE.  Right?

How will a KDE user find it, if not through the Debian menu system?

Thomas