Re: Names of ROOT packages in Debian

hi Florian,

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 17:29 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Christian Holm Christensen:
>
> >   Shared libraries: libroot5.13 for the core libs
> >                     libroot-*5.13 for add-on libs
> >   Libdevel pkgs:    libroot-dev for the core libs
> >                     libroot-*-dev for add-on libs
>
> These shouldn't be a problem, I think.

OK.

> >   Plugins:          root-plugin-*
> >   Executables:      root-bin for the core binaries
> >                     root-* for add-on binaries, e.g., root-xrootd
> >   Other packages:   root-doc, root-doc, ttf-root-installer
>
> "root-project" instead of "root" could solve the problem.  It's not
> just that the name is too generic, your users might assume that
> root-tail and root-portal are part of your packages.

Erhm, you mean the meta and source packages only, or also `root-bin',
etc.

What's wrong with `root-system' as I proposed?  I prefer that to
`project' (which sounds like it's in an alpha stage, not a product in
development).

> But you really need to get ftpmaster feedback.  This isn't something
> that should be resolved by a popular vote.

I tried to get feedback from the FTP masters, but so far (4+ weeks) I've
had no response what so ever.   So, we were hoping that debian-devel
would come up with some _recommendation_, and then we'd try to upload
with those names, and see what the FTP masters had to say about that.
So please,  keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks Florian.

Yours,

--
 ___  |  Christian Holm Christensen
    | |  Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.  Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
     _|           DK-2200 Copenhagen N       Cell:   (+45) 24 61 85 91
    _|            Denmark                    Office: (+45) 353  25 404
 ____|   Email:   cholm@nbi.dk               Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm
 | |