Re: Names of ROOT packages in Debian

On Friday 08 December 2006 17:29, Florian Weimer wrote:

> "root-project" instead of "root" could solve the problem.  It's not
> just that the name is too generic, your users might assume that
> root-tail and root-portal are part of your packages.
>
> But you really need to get ftpmaster feedback.  This isn't something
> that should be resolved by a popular vote.

I do not like "project" in the package name too much. If you think of
how "www.r-project.org" is presented in Debian (as r-..) then it would sound
strange to me to add "project" to a project that does not have "project" in
its name.

The problem of the ambiguity of the term "root" remains. Preferable to me
would be to have the name of the institute as a prefix, which would make it
cern-root-... or libcern-root-..., much analogous how the products of the
NCBI are treated in Debian.

Steffen

pc02:/nfshome/moeller # apt-cache search ncbi | cut -f1 -d\  | grep ncbi
libncbi6
libncbi6-dbg
libncbi6-dev
ncbi-data