Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 16:28 -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > > but it is Debian's job to be responsive to its users needs and
> > > Debian has made a choice to strive for susv3 compatibility
> >
> > I don't think you understand what "compatibility" means in this
> > context. It does not mean that you can substitute any component of
> > the system with a different standards-compliant version and
> > everything must continue to work.
>
> So, what does "compatibility" mean in this context?

Debian has *achieved* susv3 compatibility.  There is nothing more to be
done.

A compatible implementation is allowed to have special options "behind
the scenes" which it uses to implement things.  Compatibility (actually,
I believe the term is compliance) refers to the entire system, not its
individual components.

> > Our users needs do not, by and large, include embedded systems.
>
> I am glad that "by and large" is not the standard, for that would make
> Debian somewhat less universal than it is.

*Yawn*.

I don't care about making a distribution suitable for every possible
purpose.  I see no shame in saying that we are suitable for some
purposes and not others.

Thomas