Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

On Fri November 24 2006 15:24, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 15:12 -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > Sure, but since all "sh" scripts would be better off if they
> > specified dash as their command interpreter... #!/bin/sh use would
> > disappear.
>
> So?

Just pointing out that encouraging #!/bin/dash instead of #!/bin/sh when
a script would be better off with a lighter shell than bash results in
the demise of #!/bin/sh.

> > > I don't think it's my job to start saying what *other*
> > > distributions, which are not Debian, should do.
> >
> > but it is Debian's job to be responsive to its users needs and
> > Debian has made a choice to strive for susv3 compatibility
>
> I don't think you understand what "compatibility" means in this
> context. It does not mean that you can substitute any component of
> the system with a different standards-compliant version and
> everything must continue to work.

So, what does "compatibility" mean in this context?

> Our users needs do not, by and large, include embedded systems.

I am glad that "by and large" is not the standard, for that would make
Debian somewhat less universal than it is.

- Bruce