Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 15:12 -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
> Sure, but since all "sh" scripts would be better off if they specified
> dash as their command interpreter... #!/bin/sh use would disappear.

So?

> > I don't think it's my job to start saying what *other* distributions,
> > which are not Debian, should do.
>
> but it is Debian's job to be responsive to its users needs and Debian
> has made a choice to strive for susv3 compatibility

I don't think you understand what "compatibility" means in this context.
It does not mean that you can substitute any component of the system
with a different standards-compliant version and everything must
continue to work.

Our users needs do not, by and large, include embedded systems.

Thomas