Re: Purging configurations of non-installed transitional packages

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > If this two is true (and I think so) then you couldn't install the old
> > ssh package and the new one. So how can you do this?
>
> If the new package has a "Replaces: old_package", it will *take over*
> the conflicting config_files from the old package [1].

Except when it doesn't.

Config files != conffiles.  Conffiles are managed by dpkg and will work just
fine, as they will indeed be marked as belonging to the new package.

Config files, however, are managed by the package maintainer scripts and are
very likely to be handled incorrectly unless you upgrade to the *latest*
version of the "transitional" package *first* before you purge it.

There is also the matter of work directories in /var which packages like to
purge, etc.

  Henrique Holschuh