Purging configurations of non-installed transitional packages

Yodel!

Since I hate having tons of configuration files lying around from my various
tests (and build-dep installing orgies), I do "dpkg -l | grep ^rc | cut -f
3 -d \  | xargs dpkg -P" every now and then.  Actually, I first look at the
list, and this proved very important here...

What happened: Somehow, I seem to have transitioned from sarge ssh to
openssh-client/-server directly without first installing the 'ssh'
transitional package because I installed some package which depended on
openssh-client directly.  With the above operation, I then tried to purge
the old ssh package - which, obviously, blew my ssh configuration along
with the 'sshd' user.  In this case, I was prepared because I had an idea
that this could happen - but nonetheless, I think it shouldn't.

How to prevent this?  (btw: ntp has the same problem: /var/lib/ntp was
removed without me noticing.  Obviously this is not near as bad, as it
won't even stop ntp working)

Huge hack #1: openssh-server (new package) knows the contents of the old
ssh.preinst/ssh.postinst, so it could remove those file on installation or
replace them by newer ones that take into account the transition.
Obviously this is dangerous and should probably be secured by md5 of the
known files.

Huge hack #2: openssh-server/openssh-client know that they're replacing the
old package.  So they could just remove records of ssh from the database of
installed packages by surgery.  I feel that this one could even be made
official if specified properly as a method to transition package names
(and replacing surgery by official sourcery by dpkg).  OTOH there's bound
to be many pitfalls, and probably no two transitions are ever the same.

Other methods?  The only sane way I can think of is a hard dependency on the
transitional package for a full release cycle.  But that means keeping
useless packages around for a long time :-(

Yes, it all only was a problem because I was mixing stable and testing, but
I think being able to do that is one of the biggest assets Debian GNU/Linux
has over other distributions, so making this as easy as possible is A Good
Thing(tm) in my book.

cheers
-- vbi

--