Re: Purging configurations of non-installed transitional packages

Hi All,

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 15:33 +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:

> What happened: Somehow, I seem to have transitioned from sarge ssh to
> openssh-client/-server directly without first installing the 'ssh'
> transitional package because I installed some package which depended on
> openssh-client directly.  With the above operation, I then tried to purge
> the old ssh package - which, obviously, blew my ssh configuration along
> with the 'sshd' user.  In this case, I was prepared because I had an idea
> that this could happen - but nonetheless, I think it shouldn't.

Hm. I don't understand something. If I recall correctly

1) (almost) Everything under /etc/ is config file

2) No two package can contain the same _installed_ file.

If this two is true (and I think so) then you couldn't install the old
ssh package and the new one. So how can you do this?

The transient package is because the same config file problem. But noe
to keep them, but to enable to install new new package with the same
file.

Or I missing something?