Re: Downgrading the priority of nfs-utils

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 10:49, Matthias Julius wrote:
> But, I am not sure whether you can count them all as individual
> installations as many of those probably get installed on one system
> and then copied to another. And they are managed by only a few admins.

Preseed is your friend. It's extremely easy to setup netboots that are
customized however you want these days. There is no reason you can't install
nfs stuff as part of your preseed. We use a postinstall init.d script to
install extra packages we need, like gfortran and other goodies.

> I would guess that most people who install a linux system don't need
> NFS.

I think that is a largely fair statement. None of my home systems or laptops
use it.

> And actually, NFS us not required to run Debian.

This is the coup de grace. Why should something be essential if it is not
really, well "essential"?

> Do I don't think it
> needs to be in the default installation even if 70% of the users will
> use it. IMHO

Word.

wt
--
Warren Turkal, Research Associate III/Systems Administrator
Colorado State University, Dept. of Atmospheric Science