Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 4

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 02:57:22AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Bill Allombert writes:
> > Debian GCC Maintainers <debian-gcc@lists.debian.org>
> > 	g++-3.3
> > 	g++-3.4
> > 	g++-4.0
> > 	g++-4.1
> > 	gcj
> > 	gcj-4.0
> > 	gcj-4.1
> > 	java-gcj-compat
> > 	libgcj-dev
> > 	libgcj6-dev
> > 	libgcj7-dev
> > 	libstdc++5-3.3-dev
> > 	libstdc++6-4.0-dev
> > 	libstdc++6-4.1-dev
> > 	libstdc++6-dev
> >
> > Debian GCC maintainers <debian-gcc@lists.debian.org>
> > 	g++-2.95
> > 	libstdc++2.10-dev
>
> maybe the corresponding g++-X.Y and libstdc++-Z-X.Z-dev packages could
> be solved by merging these packages. Anyway, these binaries are built
> from the same source, so we should ot care-

Being built from the same source has no effect on apt and dpkg handling
of circular dependencies.

> I currently do not understand the java-gcj-compat / gcj-4.X relationship.

java-gcj-compat is involved in a dependency loop with:
   antlr gjdoc kaffe kaffe-jthreads kaffe-pthreads libgnucrypto-java
   libjessie-java

  graph at http://debian.semistable.com/dot/libjessie-java_unstable.png

gcj-4.X circular deps:
    gcj-4.0 <--> libgcj6-dev
    gcj     <--> libgcj-dev
    gcj-4.1 <--> libgcj7-dev

> > Debian OpenOffice Team <debian-openoffice@lists.debian.org>
> > 	openoffice.org-common
> > 	openoffice.org-core
>
> that's just a splitting into arch/indep packages. you sould not warn
> about it.

apt and dpkg do not handle them any specially, so I don't see why I
should.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>