Re: Compiling packages for the standard distribution with -Os instead of -O2

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 02:29:18PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Which have BIG caches, and thus might get sensible speedups if -Os manages
> to make the entire thing fit inside the cache (which it just might, I have
> seen non-exaustive reports of it working well for many people).

What "thing"? The entire application? All code ever used? The code where 90%
of the time is spent? For most applications, fitting inside cache isn't an
all-or-nothing question, especially not with modern CPUs having quite OK
cache replacement (and task switching changing the contents of it all the
time).

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/