Re: screenshot with package description

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 19:45, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> Em Seg, 2006-05-01 às 17:54 +0000, Gonéri Le Bouder escreveu:
> > I did some test. My repository is here:
> > http://gloria.rulezlan.org/debian/ update_tarballs.pl updates the index_*
> > files and the tarballs.
> > For the moment it doesn't create index for testing. It doesn't try to
> > deal with pixmap Depends.
>
> Looks good... Some random thoughts:
>
> 1) Isn't some versioning info missing? I mean, you have screenshots, but
> how can the user know if the screenshot refers to the current version
> (that's quite relevant for games)... Actually, the user must be warned
> if the screenshot is from an older version...
Pixmaps are listed in index_pixmap.$dist. Indexes are generated depending on
the Debian release.
These indexes a build thank to the "Depends:" line of the *_desc files.

> 2) Shouldn't it have a standard for logos and screenshots? I mean, you
> could have 2 types of images (logos or screenshot) with 2 sizes (low-res
> or high-res).
Yes you right. I suggest 200x150, 400x300 for pixmaps and 50x50, 100x100 for
the logos.
The desc file format allow us to add new size after.

> 3) It would be good to give the user the choice of downloading a subset
> (for instance: only low-res, only logos), helping to reduce the
> bandwidth usage.
Yes, i will build these tarballs:
n.pixmap.200x150.sid.tar and n.pixmap.400x300.sid.tar

> 4) A Packages.gz-like file would be helpful for upgrades (considering
> the .tar.gz can be quite big, as you get 50k for one package), I would
> suggest something like:
>
> Package: netpanzer
> Version: a.b-c
> Pixmaps-Maintainer: Foo Bar <foo@bar.com>
> Low-Logo: netpanzer-a.b-c_logos_low.tar
> High-Logo: netnetpanzer-a.b-c_logos_high.tar
> Low-Screenshots: netpanzer-a.b-c_screens_low.tar
> High-Screenshots: netpanzer-a.b-c_screens_high.tar
> Low-All: netpanzer-a.b-c_all_low.tar
> High-All: netpanzer-a.b-c_all_high.tar
> All: netpanzer-a.b-c_all_all.tar
>
> (the 'all' series can be optional to save server's disk usage)
The current tarballs was designed to be used just by ISO maker and offline
users. Users of net sources will directly  download the pictures on the
mirrors. The Packages.gz is i think limited, since Synaptic user will need to
synchronise its pixmap lists without reason.

> 5) I would suggest including the entry above together with the .tar
> (maybe name it .pdeb), so it would be possible to upload it with tools
> similar to dupload or dput, or to the user download an individual
> pixmaps package and just install it...
for the upload, it's a good alternative to web upload (e.g: mass upload). For
the download, the interest it i think limited. I prefere to extend apt-pixmap
to be able to download pixmaps for a specific package.
apt-pixmap get package

Thank you for your comments.

Regards,

        Gonéri