Re: Template toolkit: removed functionality issue

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 08:06:00PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Dominic Hargreaves (dom@earth.li) [061222 17:47]:
> > and then upload a new libtemplate-perl reflecting upstream's changes
> > with a NEWS.Debian entry explaining the change? Should libtemplate-perl
> > then Recommend or Depend on the new separate plugin modules? My
> > intuition would be to avoid a Depends.
>
> Potentially breaking working webapps is not a nice thing, though.
> The conservative thing to do would be to depend on the new plugin
> modules. I think debian is trying to protect the user from these
> kind of suprises and should be conservative and diskspace is
> cheap. You can change the depends to a recommends for lanny (or
> was it larry? lenny?) later on.

Really the question boils down to what sort of guarantees we are
providing to people using these libraries *not* via a package in the
Debian archive, though. I've already demonstrated that it is easy to
simply have bugzilla add a dependency, and my thought is that anyone
using the functionality not as part of a package would have had the same
upgrade issue had they been installing Template Toolkit from the vanilla
CPAN sources. There's only so far we can go to support software that we
don't know about.

I'm not arguing hard for either route, though.

Cheers,

Dominic.