Re: Bits from the debian-cd team; more CD/DVDs being built regularly

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 05:33:18PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 03:43:55PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
>> > I'm sure they're, so can't we go for a new multiarch containing hppa
>> > and ia64 only or even i386, hppa and ia64 ?
>
>> Hmm, keeping i386 on it is an interesting idea. Or it could have alpha,
>> hppa, and ia64, for the big/old/weird/64 bit iron multiarch cd. :-)
>
>I was just thinking that alpha/hppa/ia64 would be an interesting "HP-themed"
>multiarch CD.  Sounds like this would be fun to work on. :)  I have no idea
>if the CD booting for these archs can coexist naturally, though.

Bad news I'm afraid. I've worked through the mkisofs boot code again,
and I get:

alpha:    Writing alpha boot descriptor at extent 0

arm:      No boot sector

amd64:    Writing el torito VD sector at extent 17

hppa:     Writing hppa boot descriptor at extent 0

i386:     Writing el torito VD sector at extent 17

ia64:     Writing el torito VD sector at extent 17

m68k:     Writing hfs descriptor at extent 0

mips:     Writing mips boot descriptor at extent 0

mipsel:   Writing mipsel boot descriptor at extent 0

powerpc:  Writing hfs descriptor at extent 0

s390:     No boot sector

sparc:    Writing sun boot descriptor at extent 0
          Writing genboot sector at extent 1

I'm looking further to see if it's at all possible to get (e.g.) hppa
and alpha to live in the same boot sector, but it's really not likely.

>(Does weird iron contain strange quarks in its nuclei?)

*grin*

Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?