Documentation CD (was Re: Bits from the debian-cd team; more CD/DVDs being built regularly)

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 01:21:01PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 22 December 2006 11:07, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this is done (I assume it's not) but I would really like
> > the DVDs / CDs to have a 'documentation media' which could be used to read
> > documentation without having to install the system.
>
> I like the idea. Should we file a bug against debian-cd so this doesnt get
> lost?

Bug submitted

In the past I tried to tackle this through ftp.debian.org, since the Debian
CD scripts would mirror all the content under /debian/doc/ in the mirrors to
the '/doc/' directory in the CDs.

Unfortunately, the Ftp masters have ignored #172482 completely. Currently the
only way to put stuff under that directory si through BYHAND processing [1] which
is a p* in the a* (for them and for package maintainers, just look at
http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html and check out the status of
doc-debian).

Regards

Javier

[1] Which, incidentally, means that documentation needs to be provided in a
Debian package which is not always the case and also introduces a gap between
publishing in the website (through CVS, which is automatically build) to
publishing in the ftp site (need to make a package from the CVS sources, sign
and upload).