Re: Bits from the debian-cd team; more CD/DVDs being built regularly

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 06:29:04PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> I'm still expecting to add Live CDs to the list here before we
> release. Otherwise, I think we're about set. If there's anything else
> you'd like us to do or anything you'd like to ask about, please reply
> to this mail - note the Reply-To to the debian-cd list.

I'm not sure if this is done (I assume it's not) but I would really like the
DVDs / CDs to have a 'documentation media' which could be used to read
documentation without having to install the system. That documentation media
would contain both the english and available translations of:

- The Release Notes
- The Installation Guide
- The Refence Guide
- The User Guide
- The Project History
- The FAQ
- The Securing Debian Manual
- The Reference Card
- The Quick Reference
- The APT Howto

Content could be extracted (in an automatic way) from both the website [1]
and/or from the Debian packages providing them [2].

By providing all that content in easily printable format it would make it
easier for users that do not have good broadband access and have not yet
installed Debian to go through or print those manuals before even starting
installation.

Having all that content in one place makes it more easier for users to find
and take profit of (you'll see below that the document to package mapping is
not at all evident for a novice user).

Just my wishlist :)

Javier

[1] Some of these are available under http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/, or, more
precisely, from /org/www.debian.org/www/doc/manuals , and the
release-specific info is at http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/
(/org/www.debian.org/www/releases/etch)

The Reference Card is at http://people.debian.org/~debacle/refcard/

[2] By extracing all of /usr/share/doc/${package} to the CD.
The FAQ = doc-debian
The Installation Guide = installation-guide-XXX
The Refence Guide = debian-reference-XX
The Quick Refence = quick-reference-XX
The Project History =
The APT HOWTO = apt-howto-XX