Re: Name of a binary package according to sonames

Kurt Roeckx escribió:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 12:52:40PM -0400, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
>>> If the soname is set to libtorrent.so.10, it means applications will
>>> start to look for a file called "/usr/lib/libtorrent.so.10".  That will
>>> probably be a symlink in your case to libtorrent-0.11.0, which looks
>>> rather confusing to me.
>>>
>>> In libtorrent9 you have a file called "/usr/lib/libtorrent.so.9".  But
>>> there doesn't seem to be a file named libtorrent-0.9.0.so or something,
>>> so I'm a little confused what changed.
>> No, there's only libtorrent.so.10  libtorrent.so.10.0.0 in my build
>> (libtorrent-0.11.0)
>
> So, your source package is "libtorrent" version is 0.11.0, which has a
> binary package libtorrent10-rakshasa with a library called
> libtorrent.so.10, and also has that soname.

Yes

> That all looks good.
>
>> I'm more confused since I renamed the package to libtorrent10-rakshasa
>> and libtorrent-rakshasa10 and lintian keeps giving me the warning...
>
> I think in this case you can probably ignore the warning.
>
> Do you conflict with the -dev package of the other libtorrent package?
> You'll both want to have a /usr/lib/libtorrent.so, so you should
> conflict.

- -dev is used just for building rtorrent and -dev needs
libtorrent-rakshasa so if I conflict them -dev can't build.

> You probably now don't have a conflict with other library package now,
> but at some point this might happen.  And I think this should be
> avoided.
>
> I think either one or both should really change the name of the library
> itself, to avoid all confusion, and also make them not conflict.  For
> instance, you could name it librakshasatorrent (or librtorrent).

Well, the one with rasterbar will name it libtorrent-rasterbar and I
will name the library libtorrent-rakshasa, so, I think there's no conflict.

> The ideal solution would be that there really was only 1 libtorrent
> package, and that both current of them worked on 1 library.

Well, rakshasa is used by rtorrent, and rasterbar is used by another
bittorrent clients.

> Kurt

Thanks!!

Jose

- --

ghostbar @ linux/debian 'unstable' on i686 - Linux Counter# 382503
http://ghostbar.ath.cx/ - irc.freenode.net #talug #velug #debian-es
http://debianvenezuela.org.ve - irc.debian.org #debian-es #debian-ve
CHASLUG -- http://chaslug.org.ve - irc.unplug.org.ve #chaslug
San Cristobal - Venezuela. TALUG -- http://linuxtachira.org
Fingerprint = 3E7D 4267 AFD5 2407 2A37  20AC 38A0 AD5B CACA B118