Re: Name of a binary package according to sonames

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 11:14:33AM -0400, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:

> > On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 06:07:18PM -0400, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm maintaining libtorrent package, this source builds 2 binaries,
> >> libtorrent-rakshasa (is libtorrent9 last version in debian archive) and
> >> libtorrent-rakshasa-dev (is libtorrent9 last version in debian archive),
> >> I get this warning from lintian when I build the package.
> >>
> >> Now running lintian...
> >> W: libtorrent-rakshasa: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libtorrent10
> >> Finished running lintian.
> >>
> >> The version I'm building is libtorrent-0.11.0 so I don't think I should
> >> call the binary libtorrent10.
> >
> > Please check the real soname with objdump -p libtorrent-0.11.0 |grep
> > SONAME
>
> The real soname is libtorrent.so.10
>
> So, should I name it libtorrent10?

Either the soname should be libtorrent.so.11, or you might
want to rename libtorrent-0.11.0 to libtorrent-0.10.0 or something.

If the soname really is and should be libtorrent.so.10, you want to name
it libtorrent-rakshasa10 or something.  But it should have the 10 in it.

>From what I understand there are 2 incompatible libtorrent packages, so
you want to reflect that in the name of the package.

Kurt