Re: SUMMARY: Re: Dropping GStreamer 0.8 for etch

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 02:53:59PM +0100, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 12:03, Loïc Minier wrote:
> >  Initially missing from the list: geekast-binary.  The maintainer
> >  commented that he is now working on porting this package to GStreamer
> >  0.10.
>
> Ok, it seems that the issue is more complicated than that.
> Indeed, the while ruby-gnome2 bindings pack is built upon gstreamer2, see:
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/ruby-gnome2
> and
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libgstreamer0.8-ruby
>
> Now the big question now is: is it only a matter of recompiling against or is
> there some restriction for using gstreamer0.10 for ruby-gnome2. I CCed the
> maintainer to have his point on this.

ruby-gnome2 only contains bindings for gstreamer 0.8. To use gstreamer 0.10 you
need the libgstreamer0.10-ruby1.8 package. Which works perfectly with the rest
of ruby-gnome2 :)

> When ruby-gnome2 uses 0.10 changing my package will only be a matter of
> changing the dependencies I hope.

Note that your application will need some porting to gstreamer 0.10.  At least
the current source in debian doesn't seem to support gstreamer 0.10

  Sjoerd
--
Of course you can't flap your arms and fly to the moon.  After a while you'd
run out of air to push against.