Re: Bonsai: Candidate for removal from the archive?

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt dijo [Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 11:47:45AM +0100]:
> >> use File::Find;
> > Provided by perl-modules, which is build-essential. However, this
> > module is used at installation time (in postinst), so yes, this should
> > be listed as a pre-depends (as it's not a required/essential package)
>
> Why exactly do you need a pre-depends to use a perl module in postinst?

Because:

gwolf@lactop:/tmp/bonsai-1.3+cvs20060111/debian$ grep use.*File bonsai.postinst
use File::Find;

The postinst is a Perl file.

> >> use Debconf::Client::ConfModule ':all';
> > Provided by debconf, which is Priority: required
>
> Which doesn't help. You need to depend on all packages you use and can
> only leave essential: yes packages out.

You are right on this one, it should be added to the depends.

Still, I am not familiar with this package - If it provides
functionality not provided by other packages, yes, it should at least
be marked as belonging to QA and set as Orphaned. We have, however:

$ apt-cache search web cvs
bonsai - The Mozilla CVS query tool by web interface
chora2 - code repository viewing component for horde framework
config-manager - manage directories with Arch, CVS, HTTP, FTP and/or Subversion
cvstrac - Low-ceremony bug tracker for medium-sized projects under CVS
cvsweb - CGI interface to your CVS repository
darcs-server - a cgi script for browsing darcs repositories on the web
gforge-theme-starterpack - Collaborative development tool - theme package
libwww-mediawiki-client-perl - simple CVS-like interface for editing MediaWiki websites
python-biopython - Python library for bioinformatics
texlive-latex-extra - TeX Live: LaTeX supplementary packages
vcsweb - HTTP interface to VCS-controlled repositories
viewcvs - view CVS Repositories via HTTP
viewcvs-query - view CVS (viewcvs-query.cgi)

At least, Chora2, Cvsweb, Vcsweb and Viewcvs look quite similar in
purpose. Why should we keep Bonsai?

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23