Re: Conditionally applying an architecture-dependent patch

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> That isn't very flexible.

> By using cpp I can use #include recursively and at any point of the
> series. I can also use #ifdef or any other cpp construct. I can insert
> an architecture specific patch by enclosing it in #ifdef __arch__. If
> I cat the files together I would have to split files into smaller
> chunks.

Oh, well, yeah, if you want to do all that sort of stuff, I suppose cpp
makes sense.  I've never had a need to get that complicated, but, well,
YMMV.

I hate using cpp for anything other than C code because of all the
tokenizing that it does that's rather specific to C's syntax, but I
suppose if imake got away with it (mostly) for years, somethinga s simple
as the series file is probably okay.

> Obviously I hope that quilt includes a feature like include and even
> conditional patches in the future.

That's aesthetically unappealing to me, so I see why the quilt upstream
possibly hasn't done something like that yet.  There's a certain
simplicity to saying that quilt just uses your series file, and how you
construct that file is up to you.