Re: Conditionally applying an architecture-dependent patch

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 11:31:52PM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Montag 27 November 2006 22:46 schrieb Shaun Jackman:
> > When using CDBS, what is the best way to conditionally apply an
> > architecture-dependent patch. I'm using CDBS, but not yet using a
> > patch system such as simple-patchsys, dpatch, or quilt, so
> > recommendations of a patch system are welcome. Currently I have...

> > ARCH64 := alpha amd64 ia64

> > ifneq (,$(filter $(DEB_HOST_ARCH),$(ARCH64)))
> > configure/foo::
> > 	patch -p1 <debian/patches/arch64.diff
> > endif

> Does applying the patch break the software on 32bit systems?
> Broken patch, I'd say.

No, it's a broken package.  He's referring to swt-gtk, whose source includes
assumptions that will necessarily break on either 32-bit or 64-bit
architectures unless a fix-up is applied.

So do you have a suggestion for the problem he asked about, or are we just
playing the popular Debian pasttime of second-guessing the asker? :)

I would normally recommend quilt, but I'm not sure it has a concept of
conditional patches, which may make things awkward later if further patches
are required.