/etc/localtime (was: Re: ca-certificates symlinks out of /etc)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Alex Pennace wrote:
> I'm surprised your report missed one of the most established
> configuration symlinks of them all: /etc/localtime. I'm pointing that
> out in particular because it has been around for as long as I can
> remember, and serves its configuration function by pointing somewhere
> under /usr/share.

That symlink is a bug from the very depths of foul-smelling lands, which we
have fortunately squished for Sid and Etch.  It is gone, and good riddance
to it.  May the Grue feast on the innards of anyone trying to bring that bug
back to life.

/etc/rc*.d/* in a sysv-rc system is a much better example of "confsymlinks",
and a lot of people don't like them at all :-)

> All these symlinks allow programs to easily grab data and
> configuration in one step. A program can open /etc/localtime and know
> it is getting an up-to-date timezone file for the local timezone.

Yes, it is also shortsighted like all heck to symlink data out of / when you
need it available in early userspace initialization, period.

But this has nothing to do with ca-certificates, or its design decisions.

  Henrique Holschuh