ca-certificates symlinks out of /etc

ca-certificates installs about 100 certificates into
/etc/ssl/certs. However, these are not actually dropped into the
directory; instead, symlinks into /usr/share are put in place:

piper:/etc/ssl/certs# ls -la /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.org.pem
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 52 2006-10-31 18:56 /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.org.pem -> /usr/share/ca-certificates/cacert.org/cacert.org.crt

Since #350282 is still being discussed, I ended up doing

  cat /etc/ssl/certs/cacert-class3.pem >> /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.pem

on systems that needed access to all of CACert's certificates.

The recent ca-certificates upgrade overwrote this "configuration"
simply because my /bin/cat call actually changed a file in
/usr/share, where changes by the admin are not preserved. Yet, due
to the links in /etc/ssl/certs, the admin is given the impression
that these are configuration files and can thus be edited according
to Debian's holy conffile handling policy.

I consider this a bug, and even release-critical, and would say that
ca-certificates should use ucf to maintain the certificates in
/etc/ssl/certs. Arguments against that are to keep /etc small, but
at 444k I don't see ca-certificates being a culprit.

Comments?

Please don't tell me to use an editor that writes a new inode when
changing files. It's not a solution to the problem, even though it
would address the symptom.

"when faced with a new problem, the wise algorithmist
 will first attempt to classify it as np-complete.
 this will avoid many tears and tantrums as
 algorithm after algorithm fails."
                                                          -- g. niruta