Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 6

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:30:33 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> said:

> [Ian Jackson]
>> The only argument I've heard against circular dependencies as a
>> general rule is that they can trigger a particularly stupid (and
>> probably not very hard to fix) bug in apt,

> You seem to have missed the argument that packages with circular
> dependencies are impossible to install and configure in the correct
> (dependency) order, and thus will end up being installed and
> configured in a nondeterministic order instead.  It is documented
> that dpkg try its best to find a sensible order for the packages,
> but it is bound to fail one way or another if two packages really do
> need each other to be configured before they are configured.

        If the packages do not require each other for installation,
 then this is irrelevant. I suspect the vast majority of cases is that
 packages depend on each other at *RUN* time, not install time.

        Circular dependencies where the dependencies are needed at
 install time are indeed buggy, but I see no indication that the jihad
 against circular dependencies is making any such distinctions.

        manoj
--
If you have to hate, hate gently.