Re: Bug mass filling

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:30:20 -0400, Hubert Chan <uhoreg@debian.org> said:

> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:40:28 -0500, Manoj Srivastava
> <srivasta@debian.org> said:
>> Gee. Don't we already have something very like this?

>> These classifications are roughly equivalent to the bug severities
>> _serious_ (for _must_ or _required_ directive violations), _minor_,
>> _normal_ or _important_ (for _should_ or _recommended_ directive
>> violations) and _wishlist_ (for _optional_ items).  [2]

> Well, it says "... _roughly_ equivalent".  So it seems to me that
> both places (http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer and policy section
> 1.1) that attempt to correlate policy violations and bug severity do
> so with some hedging, and do not try to define a direct mapping.

        Err, you seem to be assuming that there is a direct mapping
 between bug severity and RC-ness, which is not the case.

> and for policy:

>   These classifications are roughly equivalent to the bug severities
>   serious (for must or required directive violations), minor, normal
>   or important (for should or recommended directive violations) and
>   wishlist (for optional items). [2] However, this is not a direct
>   mapping, and the release managers determine which violations are
>   considered release-critical.

        where does release criticality jump in here from? Policy has
 no mention of RC in this context, I see no reason to  suddenly inject

        The problem is there are two mappings, one from policy
 violations over to bug severities, and another from severities to
 RC. The former is , according to policy, pretty static; the latter
 is, by the release team directive, a fluid mapping based on the
 contents of a web page, which is updated by the RM's as needed.

        I don't see any reason to fuzzy up the first mapping; and I
 see the etch-ignore tag as a perfectly legitimate and adequate
 representation of the fluidity of the second mapping.

"I only touch base with reality on an as-needed basis!" Royal Floyd
Mengot (Klaus)