Re: Bug mass filling

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:30:20 -0400, Hubert Chan <uhoreg@debian.org> said:

> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:40:28 -0500, Manoj Srivastava
> <srivasta@debian.org> said:
>> Gee. Don't we already have something very like this?

>> These classifications are roughly equivalent to the bug severities
>> _serious_ (for _must_ or _required_ directive violations), _minor_,
>> _normal_ or _important_ (for _should_ or _recommended_ directive
>> violations) and _wishlist_ (for _optional_ items).  [2]

> Well, it says "... _roughly_ equivalent".  So it seems to me that
> both places (http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer and policy section
> 1.1) that attempt to correlate policy violations and bug severity do
> so with some hedging, and do not try to define a direct mapping.

        Err, you seem to be assuming that there is a direct mapping
 between bug severity and RC-ness, which is not the case.

> and for policy:

>   These classifications are roughly equivalent to the bug severities
>   serious (for must or required directive violations), minor, normal
>   or important (for should or recommended directive violations) and
>   wishlist (for optional items). [2] However, this is not a direct
>   mapping, and the release managers determine which violations are
>   considered release-critical.

        where does release criticality jump in here from? Policy has
 no mention of RC in this context, I see no reason to  suddenly inject
 one.

        The problem is there are two mappings, one from policy
 violations over to bug severities, and another from severities to
 RC. The former is , according to policy, pretty static; the latter
 is, by the release team directive, a fluid mapping based on the
 contents of a web page, which is updated by the RM's as needed.

        I don't see any reason to fuzzy up the first mapping; and I
 see the etch-ignore tag as a perfectly legitimate and adequate
 representation of the fluidity of the second mapping.

        manoj
--
"I only touch base with reality on an as-needed basis!" Royal Floyd
Mengot (Klaus)