Re: safe halt/reboot/shutdown

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:50:08 +0200, martin f krafft
<madduck@debian.org> wrote:
>I am sure you've all once typed 'halt<enter>' only to notice that
>you were in an active SSH session and the machine on the other side
>of $BIG_DISTANCE obediently followed your request. I've done it way
>too much, so I ended up hacking up
>
>  http://svn.madduck.net/pub/sbin/base/shutdown
>
>This script, along with symlinks from halt and reboot, lives in
>/usr/local/sbin on all my systems -- and thus I would like to see it
>in Debian proper. However, I feel that it's too small for a separate
>package, and I am not sure sysv-utils is the appropriate place, even
>if debconf would ask the user whether s/he wanted that safety net.

A more compatible way of doing so would be having an optional
configuration file where one could set an option that shutdown won't
do anything unless the correct host name was given on the command
line.

The config file should be optional so that shutdown's behavior is not
altered in the default case and shutdown still works even if the
config file is not available for any reason such as a broken system.

While we are at it, this configuration file should also have an option
to completely forbid shutdown -h or halt - a colocated server that
switches itself off after shutdown -h won't respond to a reset signal,
so remote hands are needed.

Greetings
Marc