Re: delay of the full etch freeze

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:32:24PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Yes, this is my official position on the question (dunno about Andi's, I'm
> > replying to email off-line at the moment and haven't checked with him, but I
> > would guess his position is similar).

> > The only packages in NEW that I'm inclined to worry about are those that fix
> > release-critical bugs.

> I think this is unrealistic, because we cannot predict NEW's
> behavior.

It's true that we can't predict NEW's behavior, but that doesn't make it
right to delay the freeze for non-RC bugfixes caught in NEW.  The general
shape of the etch release should be determined for months now, and we should
be in the process of stabilizing for the release -- introducing new packages
is definitely not "stabilizing", so I won't be heartbroken if packages not
related to release-critical bugs don't make it through the queue in time for
etch.

> It doesn't follow that somebody "waited that late"; it may
> well be instead that they did everything they could, and it was the
> processing of NEW that waited a long time.

According to http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html, the oldest package in
NEW is 3 weeks old.  3 weeks ago was more than a full month after the
original proposed base freeze date for etch[1].  Sorry, no, I'm not going to
lose any sleep over such packages not making it into etch before the freeze.

--
Steve Langa[Asek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/10/msg00004.html