Re: apt-findremovable v0.1 (initial release)

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 06:30:33PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> If I tell the Maintainer: "I am connecting over ssh2 using keys
> to two of my servers in Tehran, I want to install something and
> I choose aptitude for better searching, aptitude crashs and kill
> the ssh session", he/she will close immediatly the bugreport,
> because this NO bugreport.

You could check the logs: if sshd is killed, that should be logged. And
you can strace sshd from the point you connect to the point it dies, and
then you'd know why it died. Or you can start sshd in debugging mode.

The thing is, if a crashing app can kill the ssh connection then your
system is broken. If you're the sysadmin, then it's _your job_ to find
out why. You can ask if you don't know how to debug such a situation,
but just complaining instead of doing the work will get you nowhere.

> The problem is, that the Servers are in Tehran and I am in
> Strasbourg.  I do not know how to debug this on distance...

man strace. Enable core dumps if they are disabled (e.g. because you've
started sshd with 'ulimit -c 0' in effect) and look for core files.
Check the logs; if it's OOM, it will be logged, if ssh dies due to a
signal it ought to be logged. You can always start a second sshd on a
non-standard port if you're afraid of losing connectivity during
debugging.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences