Re: how to tell people to dpkg-reconfigure exim4-_CONFIG_?

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> Cons: Untranslated message
>> Pros: less annoying by not interrupting installs and upgrades, easy to
>>       implement
>
> Cons: Can't be easily seen in non-console frontends, dissapears off of
> the screen rapidly, etc.
>
> Using echo to inform the user of things is really not ideal.
> README.Debian, NEWS.Debian, and low priority debconf notes when
> appropriate are much, much better.

And this is exactly the point: ppl just do 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4' and
then come to irc channels or other forums complaining that nothing
happens. Of course the situation is properly documented in
README.Debian, but the target audience here doesn't read that
documentation.

My point is that `dpkg-reconfigure exim4` is what users seem to expect
to work (without reading documentation). Therefore I suggested adding
some additional information at the point that doesn't behave to what
users expect. I didn't propose how to fix, just a piece of information
for users how to find out how to do what they actually wanted to do.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4