Re: local copies of libs

Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org> writes:

> libavcodec had several vulnerabilities and without doubt it'll have more in
> the next 30 months after Etch release. So it's absolutely necessary to
> link dynamically. (Many do already, e.g. xine-lib).
> I'll file RC bugs for any packages still embedding or link statically soon,
> just haven't had the time yet.

It would be very helpful from the ffmpeg side, if there finally was a
real release, on which application could rely on binary/sourcelevel
compatibility.

See also http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/faq.html#SEC22 for reference

Besides this, linking dynamically against ffmpeg results in loss of
features and performance. At least I was told this by an ffmpeg developer.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4