Developper's reference as a wiki (was: Debian Women Wikis)

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 09:11:38PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 04:42:17PM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:

> > > Or why it is in a Wiki at all?  A wiki is fine for collecting
> > > information with input from many people.  But once it's settled, and
> > > this one mainly seems to be, I think it should be integrated in the
> > > existing infrastructure, e.g. the developers' reference.
> >
> > Or to put it the other way, why isn't the developer's reference a wiki? :)
> >
> > I think it's more likely to evolve that way.
> >
> > --
> Hi Sylvain,
> I think that is a great idea but I'd have a few caveats: what if someone
> put malicous code in a page (e.g. the equivilant of 'rm -rf /')  and a
> user damaged their system by running it? The current process is not as
> easily updated but its has a high quality review which is good. I'd hope
> for a solution that lets people add new content but maybe have it not
> show up immediatley and have it reviewed like 'sponsored uploads' thus
> ensuring that it meets Debian standards. IIRC there are folks who are
> responsible for Debian web content and Debian user documentation --
> maybe have them involved?

I wonder whether this process is the reason why the information is on
wiki.debian.org in the first place.

This also means that untrusted copy/paste-able code will be put on a
Debian wiki independently of the devref's update process (users
hopelessly like to bypass inconvenient security policies ;)).

Moderation is good indeed. Wikis only suggest distributed 'a
posteriori' moderation instead of centralised 'a priori' moderation.

However, I don't know of a good tool to wiki-ize a document while
keeping to abilities to distribute it offline. CVS had its Texinfo
manual published as a Mediawiki (http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/) - I
wonder how/whether they merge it back to Texinfo. Another option may
be a public repository like UnCommon Web's - it's for code though
(http://uncommon-web.com/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=ucw_public;a=summary)

--
Sylvain