No Config-Files state even though postrm purge failed while purging an installed package?

  http://women.debian.org/wiki/English/MaintainerScripts states,
while discussing the purging of a fully installed package
("Removing and Purging", Removal+Purge of foo (Installed)), that

   there's no way that the package might end-up
   in a Config files state, even if "postrm purge" fails.

  It also shows a figure which is hopefully similar to the following one:
(I do hope the ascii figure will be displayed the way I wanted it to.)

               Removal+Purge of foo (Installed)

  +------------+FAILED    +---------------------+FAILED
  |prerm remove|--------->|postinst abort-remove|-------+
  +------------+          +---------------------+       |
        |OK                            |OK              |
        |                              |                |
        |Files are deleted             |                |
        V                              |"Installed"     |
 +-------------+FAILED                 |                |
 |postrm remove|-------------------+   |                |
 +-------------+                   |   |                |
        |OK                        |   |                |
        |          "Half-Installed"|   |                |
        |                          |   |   +------------+
        |Conffiles are deleted     |   |   |
        V                          |   |   |"Failed-Config"
 +------------+FAILED              |   |   |
 |postrm purge|----------------+   |   |   |
 +------------+                |   |   |   |
        |OK                    |   |   |   |
        |        "Config-Files"|   |   |   |
        |                      |   |   |   |
        |Filelist is removed   |   |   |   |
        |"Not Installed"       |   |   |   |
        V                      V   V   V   V
|Successful exit|        |Exit with error message|

  It looks to me as if both the figure and policy contradicts
the statement  from above about "Config-Files" state.
  What am I missing?