Re: Media players in Debian

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:

> [César Martínez Izquierdo]
> > Another reason is... lots of Debian users download mplayer from
> > Marillat or other sources (maybe Marillat may provide some stats)...
>
> popcon.debian.org can provide stats.  Of 16473 machines submitting
> info, 3555 (22%) have the mplayer package installed.  There are 84
> packages with mplayer in the name reported, and some of the are
> alternative pcakages (like mplayer-586), so the installation base for
> mplayer might be higher than 22%.

You can have mplayer installed without it necessarily showing up for
popcon.  Since mplayer isn't in the debian repository proper, I have
downloaded the source, compiled it myself and installed it into
/usr/local.  There are probably many other people like me.

I am not sure how useful the popcon numbers are besides giving some
kind of lower bound to mplayer.