Re: Media players in Debian

On 9/23/06, Reinhard Tartler <siretart@tauware.de> wrote:
Considering your contributions to this thread, I see 3 possibilites:

 - you are interested in not having a mplayer package in debian, then
   please clearly say so. I don't have that impression
 - you are not interested in having a mplayer package in debian, then
   please refrain from contributing offensive posts like your previous
   ones.
 - you are interested in having a mplayer package in debian, then please
   try to learn the current status and problems why its not in debian
   (yet). As I said in another post, I don't really know them either,
   but I'm confident that Andrea and the ftpmaster will come up with an
   result in due time.

I'd prefer number 3, until there is an alternative that can play
absolutely everything Mplayer can it would be great to have it in
Debian. However given the fact that 99.999% of Debian people are not
subscribed to the MPlayer dev list (and therefore don't know what's
going on; me included) and that the MPlayer people haven't in the past
contributed too well to legal discussions on d-l, they do have a
(probably undeserved) reputation for not caring about patent issues.

If my previous mail was offensive to you, please disregard.

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrewdonnellan.com