Re: Media players in Debian

"Andrew Donnellan" <ajdlinux@gmail.com> writes:

> It would be great if upstream would actually care about legal issues,
> licenses and patents in particular.

Upstream does care for legal issues, and patents in particular. Check
the mplayer development mailing list archive for the last months.

> This is pretty much the only thing stopping Debian from distributing
> it - it may actually be illegal [...]

The problematic parts regarding patents are mostly in ffmpeg, which is
already in debian for some time. There seem to be no problem for debian
redistributing ffmpeg.

Other maybe problematic parts are in libdvdcss, which has been strpped
off in the proposed mplayer package.

Honestly, I don't know what problems remain problems regarding mplayer,
but claiming that mplayer upstream did not care about copyright and
patent issue is straight wrong and does only spread FUD. Please help to
improve the situation by mentioning concrete remaining problems.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4