Re: Debian cares more about documents than people

alfredo diega wrote:
> Okay:  Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.  According to this message at
> bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=363967 it isn't packaged
> because:
>
> "there is still an official statement of -release and -kernel about the
> policy for oot-modules in etch missing."
>
> showing it just isn't in Debian because policy.

Please read down to the bottom of the whole bug you cited above.  Two
developers are actively working on this, and there are technical
problems with the package.

Furthermore, you appear to be mistaken about Debian policy.  Perhaps
this is simply a matter of language.  See:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

This key document is the technical foundation upon which the entire
Debian distribution is built.  Without it, you would not have the
quality distribution you now enjoy.

> Next:  SD drive, works with Ubuntu with their "free stuuf."  Probably
> isn't
> supported by policy either.

I can't comment, as you have not given details.

> Lastly, suspend doesn't work with Debian but does with Dapper.

Again, without even a bug# reference, this is hard for me to check.

> I am not an expert with all the technical specifics, but when I see
> messages
> like this from the release manager:
> lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2006/09/msg00453.html

I don't see the connection between this and the one concrete example you
gave above.

> I conclude, why am I trying to wait patiently?  Is Debian ever going to
> support hardware where there is "free software" out there for it?
> Because
> of
> a pios loyalty to a docoument and not to mankind I conclude not.

The bug report that *you* cited above indicates otherwise.  I see
developers who are concerned about working on the problems you are so
passionate about having fixed.  I see a Debian that cares about its users.

Regards,
Ben