Re: transitioning config files between two packages

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:49:16AM +0200, sean finney wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 17:21 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I don't know what happens if there is a versioned Conflicts/Replaces
> > instead, and the conflicted-with package remains installed in a newer
> > version as a result.  It's certainly possible that doesn't work nearly as
> > smoothly, a conclusion supported by your original post.

> well if anyone is interested in reproducing this:

> - use debootstrap/pbuilder to create a sarge.tgz
> - chroot into the sarge.tgz, mounting /proc.
> - apt-get install nagios-plugins
> - change the sarge lines to etch lines in sources.list
> - apt-get update
> - apt-get dist-upgrade
> - wait for the prompt

Done, and:

$ ls -l /var/lib/dpkg/info/nagios-plugins.conffiles
ls: /var/lib/dpkg/info/nagios-plugins.conffiles: No such file or directory
$

So everything works here except that dpkg doesn't recognize the files on
disk as unmodified conffiles after changing their ownership, I think.

So to fix this within your preinst, you could check whether each file's
md5sum matches the known md5sum from sarge, and if so remove the file.  If
the md5sum /doesn't/ match, the conffile prompt should happen as normal.

It's up to you whether you think ucf is a better way to handle this.

Cheers,