Re: transitioning config files between two packages

hey james,

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 22:27 -0400, James Vega wrote:
> It should just be a matter of removing the files from the old package
> and letting the new ones take their place (with a backup if there are
> any user changes).  A little grepping around in /var/lib/dpkg/info
> turned up this snippet for removing conffiles.

thanks for the suggestion, but if it's a choice between this and ucf, i
think ucf would be the lesser of two evils.

as a general rule relying on /var/lib/dpkg/anything should be greatly
frowned upon.  what you suggest *would* work (though in the case that
the file is modified it could be kept there instead of made into a
backup copy), i can't in good conscience implement something like that.

i suppose i could store the md5sums of the conffiles in a seperate file
that is guaranteed to exist, but then i'm on my way to reimplementing
ucf and might as well just use ucf then.

thanks,
	sean