Re: Request to mailing list Pkg-qof-maintainers rejected

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:59:35 +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> said:

> On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 21:22 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

        Note that the rejection is being called stupid -- not the
 person who created the mechanisms that caused the rejection.

>> For my part, I find it pretty offensive that a mailing list that's
>> set as the maintainer of a package would have mail filters
>> configured this way in the first place.

> It's your right to have such an opinion, but it's not the question
> at hand. The point I raised is: is it appropriate to assume that a
> fellow maintainer is "braindead" or "stupid", or rather assume that
> he made an honest mistake?

        Are you saying stupid people can't make honest mistakes? I
 would think that these are not mutually exclusive characterizations.
 As for determining intelligence of an action, I would much rather
 call a spade a spade.  It is not as if he called the people stupid
 (thing, not person) -- that is merely your hyperbole and strawman.

> Is it appropriate to use terms like "fucking" and "damn" on a wide
> audience mailinglist, or could you send them a polite message if you
> don't agree with their way of configuring their lists?

        It certainly speaks volumes about the author, so I am not
 opposed to such terms. It help rather rapidly to locate their niche
 in my score files.

> I'm pretty sure which path I'd take, and I'm also pretty sure which
> path would be best to improve the atmosphere between Debian
> developers.

        Not moderating the maintainer path would do volumes to improve
 relations here as well.

        manoj

--
I surely do hope that's a syntax error. Larry Wall in
<199710011752.KAA21624@wall.org>